Thursday 14 August 2014

My first record player....

Over at the Inside the Apple blog today, I write about Thomas Edison and the first wax cylinder phonograph.

My first record player was this:


I can remember my brother cutting out cardboard discs from the back of cereal boxes and poking holes in them so that he could make his own "records" that would play on it. He probably had the patience to actually make his discs play tunes. I'm sure when I copycatted him, mine were John Cage-ian random conglomerations of discordant notes.

But my first real record player was either this model or something very similar to it:


And here's the weird part. If you look closely at the 45 on the turntable in this photo that I found on the Internet, it's Debby Boone's "You Light Up My Life," which was also the very first record I ever owned. Coincidence?

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL7xrYWReis]




No comments:

Post a Comment